We offer Maryland’s only Complete Handgun Qualification Training Class. Our HQL Training Class includes instruction from a certified firearm instructor, onsite finger printing and all paperwork! At the end of our 4 hour class you will have everything required by the State of Maryland to submit your HQL application. As one of Maryland’s largest firearms dealers we are happy to help our clients meet this training requirement!
Our Handgun Qualification License class is a four-hour block of instruction which includes classroom instruction on state firearm law, home firearm safety training, handgun mechanisms and operation, as well as a live fire portion (ammunition included) in our Indoor Gun Range.
As a Maryland resident, Maryland law requires HQL training if you have not owned a regulated firearm prior to October 1, 2013. Our firearm training will not only meet the MD HQL law requirements but also help you gain self-confidence with firearm handling. The HQL law in MD also requires a fingerprint based background check to purchase a handgun, which we are able to provide onsite as part of our firearms safety training course.
As with most license requirements, there are exemptions!
An applicant is not required to posses a Handgun Qualification License to purchase a regulated firearm if they are:
- A Licensed Firearms Manufacturer.
- Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
- A member or retired member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
- A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law or in determinations published by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
- Individual possess an active FFL License.
If you are exempt from the requirements, come in today and checkout the large handgun selection!
If you’re interested in participating in a Handgun Qualification License class in Maryland, Call Fred’s Outdoors today! HQL class details include:
- Class $120 per person (finger print fees not included)
- HQL Course takes place on Sundays from 10AM – 2PM (unless stated otherwise)
- We also offer Women-Only HQL classes!
After taking this course, you will receive a $25 rebate to put towards purchasing a gun with us! You will also receive a free range pass!
Give us a call or fill out the form below to learn more about signing up for an HQL class in Maryland with Fred’s Outdoors!
Please note that State Required fingerprinting is offered onsite via Livescan for $60. MD State Application fee of $50 is not included.
Question: How Long does MD HQL Training Take?
Answer: MD State requires the 4 hours of training, finger printing and a valid application submitted to Maryland State Police. After that the MSP will approve or deny the application in 14 working days.
Question: How long is the MD HQL good for?
Answer: The HQL permit is good for 10 years from date of issue.
Question: Where can I obtain my MD Handgun Qualification License?
Answer: Fred’s Outdoors is your one stop shop for all instructor led firearm safety and training. Contact us today to register for classes.